Last week Tuesday I got a call from Melody, telling my that my former landlady (her mother) wasn't doing very well. In fact, after a long battle with a muscle problem in her diaphragm and another stint in the hospital for fluid on her lungs, they made the painful decision to change her care to hospice care. Mardell was 79. Melody's words were "It might be days, it might be weeks. . . " Not wanting to have missed my opportunity, I went up last Tuesday and got to spend a lovely hour plus, just Mardell and I. We talked. We remembered. She made me laugh with her feisty observation that one of the aids was a **tch. :) Lots of hugs, lots of kisses. And I said goodbye. She knew that if this baby is a girl that its middle name will be Mardell. Monday, January 31st, at about 9:30 am, Mardell was done. Melody called me at noon to tell me. Sue had already called to warn me that Melody would probably be calling as Jordan had left school after talking to Terry.
Funeral is tomorrow. Stu and I will go. The kids will stay with Michelle. I hate goodbyes. I'm just thankful for the time I had with her last week.
Some of my favourite memories of her are of our times outside on the patio together and our times going to Weight Watchers together. She made me laugh so much. I loved her like a grandma. I wish we would have gone up to visit more often, but I am glad the four of us made the trip to see her before we left for England. I will miss her, and I will treasure my memories of her.
Goodbye, sweet Mardell.
No comments:
Post a Comment