Family

Family
us-Hawaii

Sunday, June 5, 2011

onward

Since it has been ages since I've really made any posts of worth, I need to update.

So, April 23rd my baby boy turned 3.  Made him a Buzz Lightyear cake, which he loved.  He still talks about it.  Gave him a Fischer Price MP3 player, which he loved.  And a few weeks before that he had gotten his very first haircut from Mike the barber in Marcus.  He is so grown up, and so tender.  He makes me laugh--in fact just today he was sitting very quietly and I didn't really take much notice because I thought he was reading a book.  He was writing on his leg.  I managed to suppress a laugh for a bit, but he was so immediately contrite and hang-dog that I couldn't contain it for long.  Oh, Bubba.  You are my sunshine.

May brought Mother's Day (and I did get a USB drive, which I've already used quite a bit).  It also brought my birthday--my sweet husband brought home flowers and the kids game me a wireless mouse for the laptop.  May also brought several other events, some stressful.
  1. I completed the 2nd semester of teaching and grading, which is a normal yearly occurrence.
  2. I started and finished teaching a 7x7 composition course in Sheldon--taught M, T, Th, F of the first week, during which the kids alternated between sitters.  Susan came several days and stayed until 3:00, when she walked them over to Michelle's.  Friday of that first week they spent the whole day at Greta Hogrefe's.  And that Friday night chaos in our world.  More on that in a minute.  The next week I taught M, T, and W--Susan came M & T, then walked them to Michelle's at 3:00 on Tuesday only--Stu was home at 3:00 on Monday.  Wednesday they spent the whole day with Michelle, but she dropped them at the library with Lois for a few minutes because I finished early that day.
  3. Back to the chaos--Friday night I came home from getting the kids at Greta's and Stu had sent a message that he wasn't feeling well and was going to stop at the Dr.'s on the way home--we were supposed to go up to Hartley for a graduation, but never made it.  I called him just a little after 5 to see when he was coming home and if he felt better and wanted to go.  He brusquely told me that he'd call me back.  I had only had time to change clothes, go to the bathroom, and give Bubba a snack before I had called him.  He called back two minutes later and said "Can you call someone to take the kids and meet me in A&E (the ER).  Don't speed, just get here when you can."  I had NO idea what was wrong, but promised I'd do it.  Called Sara Wilson, and she and SaraMarie came over and got the kids right away.  I couldn't speed to town because I was behind two slow-moving vehicles and I wasn't going to risk getting into an accident.  When I got there, I was told he wasn't in the ER, but had already been admitted.  When I got up to his room, he was already in a gown, on the bed, with oxygen.  Since there were so many people in his room, I couldn't even really ask him what was going on--probably four different people between nurses and aids.  When I could finally get anything out of him, he told me he'd felt fine until about 3:00 that afternoon, then had spiked a fever and started shaking so bad that he started coughing and couldn't catch his breath.  When he had stopped at the Dr.'s, they thought he was having an asthma attack or possibly something with his heart. But by the time I got to him, he didn't look too bad.  I said something to him about not being too bad, and the nurse popped her head up and said, "No, he's acute."  I still didn't know what was going on really, Then one of the ambulance crew came up to do an EKG.  Then they took blood.  The blood counts must have come back with a high white count then, because they came back a little later to give him a shot of Rocephrin (who knows how to spell it).  I stayed with him until about 9:15, then came back home.  While I was gone, Sara and Michael had fed and played with the kids, and Sara had come over and vacuumed and picked up our house.  She also had them in jammies already by the time I got home.  Michelle came early the next morning so that I could go back to the hospital, and I was there by 7:15.  When Dr. Veit came in, we both expected him to say "good job being cautious, but you're fine and you can go."  What he said instead was that the blood tests they had done already that morning showed that Stu's white count was up even higher.  He also told us that the chest X-ray they had done when they brought him in the night before showed pneumonia.  We were surprised, but both grateful that Stu had stopped.  Just before the Dr. had come in Stu had complained and moaned and was saying he should have just come home instead of stopping the night before.  We were both glad that he did.  He had to stay until about 2:40 that afternoon--another shot of Rocephrin at 2:00, a little observation, and then he was free to leave.  I had gone home late morning to relieve Michelle and wait for Mary (AbuelitaVeit gave him the all clear unless he started feeling worse again.  So he finished his $130/7-pill antibiotic and we were good to go. He got a little tired that week, but he just took it easy.  I did get Tony to come help me mow the lawn that Tuesday so that he wouldn't try it--and Bill came over and helped out, too.
  4. I had to do a 2-hour glucose test because I had failed my first one.  So did that Thursday morning (the 26th) while Susan watched the kids for me.  And I failed it--which I found out Friday right before we were set to leave for Minneapolis.
  5. I got to have a 3D/4D scan of the baby on Friday because Whitney needed to practice.  :)
  6. We went to Minneapolis for the Memorial Day weekend, May 27th-May 30th.  Got there quite late Friday night and had pizza from Dominoes delivered at 10:45 PM--didn't get kids to bed until after 11 that night.  Saturday we went to Como Park Zoo in the morning and early afternoon, then back to the hotel for a nap, then took the shuttle to the Mall of America for supper and rides on the Nickelodeon theme park.  Stu bought the kids wristbands, and they had a blast.  Stayed until the rides quit at 10:00, then back to the hotel to bed.  Sunday we took the shuttle to MOA, then the bus to the Children's Museum.  Had a little kerfuffle getting the bus back, but we finally made it.  Had supper at Rainforest Cafe, then ice cream at Coldstone Creamery, then back to the hotel on the shuttle. Monday morning we packed up, bought sandwiches at the gas station to put in the cooler for lunch, then headed to the Minnesota Zoo.  Got to ride the tram and see a dolphin show.  Left at 4:00ish and stopped for supper in Fairmont.  I think we were home at about 9:00.  Kids had a great weekend, and it was good to have one last family event before the baby.
  7. Tuesday had to have a Dr.'s appointment and get a blood monitor--Wednesday morning met with the nutritionist, so have been testing blood four times a day since then.  Very few problems, so should be able to manage this with little difficulty.
  8. Wednesday, got to go in for a repeat 3D/4D scan with Mary because Whitney had some trouble.  So sweet to see the baby's face.  Chubby little cheeks, sweet little lips.  Now to decide a name.  I think it's a girl.
We had the car serviced yesterday, and for some reason the guy who serviced it either completely forgot to put back on the oil fill cap, or he had put it on loosely and it fell off.  Either way, it was not good.  We drove from Jensen's to Target, and the smell of oil/something was so horrible it made me sick.  After Target (got a few last things for the baby and new sheets/bedspread for Bubba's toddler bed), we drove back to HuHot for the Princess's early birthday meal.  The stench was horrific, but went away when we turned off the air.  So Stu checked it at the parking lot of HuHot and found oil everywhere under the hood.  Called Jensen's, they sent someone to look who said it would be ok to drive it back, and we drove back to the dealer.  They apologized profusely, took the car right back in, cleaned as much as they could, and robbed another oil filler cap to replace ours. We did finally get to HuHot for the Princess--and I had remembered to bring along her training chopsticks.  Crazy girl ate a full plate and then half of another.  She LOVES HuHot.  And last night Heather and Jason came for grilled brats and we ate on the patio.  Good night.

I think that's the daily stuff.  Meriden Bible school this week, and I've volunteered to sit in the nursery.  Should be an interesting week.  Friday another Dr.'s appointment and appointment with the nutritionist--Dr.'s appointment should be great.  I think they'll do the strepB test.  Kids are going to play with the twins that day.

Baby's getting closer--and I have clothes and nappies washed and ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment